Wednesday 25 January 2012

Hungry Jacks Farmyard Feast Burger (version 2)

Okay, that burger name is likely to have people scratching their heads, wondering why they've never heard of it before.
Well, last January I had a custom-made burger done up to incorporate all the different meats Hungry Jacks had available - Beef, Chicken, Bacon.  (they had recently dropped the fish burger, so I wasn't able to include that as I had originally wanted)
They looked like this, one with ketchup (left) and one with BBQ sauce (right).
And cut open, they looked like this:
(each had cheese, onion, egg and mustard as well)

I posted up the pics on Flickr February 2011 of my creation, and within 3 months, Burger King in Japan brought out the "Meat Monster" which had the same 3 meat items in the same order (beef, bacon, and chicken on top). They did add salad to theirs and left off the egg, but it needed the extra colour, as my "meat-only" version looked a bit boring.


When Hungry Jacks brought out their Angus patties about a year ago, I was thinking about doing a new version with the four different meats this time.
Last weekend I went to the HJs at Sunnybank, with a "map" of the burger, showing each item layered in the proposed burger. Something like this:

Bun top
Onion
Ketchup
Mustard
beef patty
bacon
mayo
egg
chicken patty
cheese
ketchup
angus patty
Bun bottom

I layed it out to separate the meats as much as possible, as well as distributing the sauces as well, because most HJs burgers put the sauce on top last, making the bottom half rather dry and less tasty.
I also had a second "map" done up for a "healthier option", which was inspired by the Japanese Meat Monster.
Okay, it isn't "healthier", just more colourful.

Bun top
tomato
lettuce
onion
mayo
beef patty
ketchup
bacon
egg
mustard
chicken patty
ketchup
cheese
angus patty
Bun bottom

After a couple minutes of amused discussion between register-operator and the store manager, I was informed that they couldn't do it because they don't have egg any more. (thanks to that STUPID decision to drop the AUSSIE BURGER)
I pointed out that they have eggs in their breakfast menu, which was countered with those being "freshly cooked" (as opposed to the pre-cooked ones on the Aussie Burger)... and that they wouldn't be cooking any outside of Breakfast. (I was there Saturday Night, so if I wanted to do this as planned, I would have to come back in the morning)
Dejectedly, I headed home (with the Country burgers that I reviewed yesterday) and waited anxiously for the next morning.
At about 10am I headed back to the HJs, and handed over my "burger map" to the staff, who quickly handed it to the Manager on that day.
Again, after a few minutes of amusement, they said, okay.
So after working up the total cost of the two burgers, they borrowed the map to make up my two monsters.
(the cost, for those wondering, came up to $7.20 each - which I thought was cheap, but I guess was about right with all the meat in it)

About 7 minutes later, I was handed a bag with my two burgers, and headed home to review them.

So here they are, the world premier of the all new Hungry Jacks Farmyard Feast Burgers...
A bit messy, but that's what makes them look so delicious.

The regular Farmyard Feast:

And the Farmyard Feast Deluxe (the "healthy" option)

And both of them cut open to show the layers...

I wasn't really wanting the thick Angus patty from the new Premium menu, but unfortunately one of the recent menu changes was to drop the regular Angus patty for this more expensive "fancy" one that regular (blue collar) HJ patrons aren't going to buy anyway.
Aside from that overbalance of the Angus meat patty, the whole thing ended up being the best tasting burger I have ever eaten... even better than my Giant 10KG Burgers.
I had managed to space out the sauces and meats to give it flavour throughout the entire burger, not just the top half. Perhaps something Hungry Jacks should look into with their bigger burgers... instead of a big squirt on the top of the burger, have a little squirt at the top and midway.

So if you are a creative one with your burgers, or just a burger fan in general, give this a go at your local Hungry Jacks (or Burger King if you are reading this outside of Australia), but remember that if you want Egg on it, you have to get there before about 11am for the Breakfast hours.

Now to see if the Japanese Burger King release a new Meat Monster in a couple months time...

No comments:

Post a Comment